Self Compiled Kernel Stops Booting in Ubuntu 14.04 [Fixed]

After switching from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 I've noticed my self compiled kernels would not boot well. There was always an error that a device (root / and swap) could not be mounted. Also I could no longer mount removable devices, such as USB sticks.

This is due to changes in the boot process with the new version of Ubuntu. The issue disappears if root is mounted rewrite by default. Hence you should change the root=/dev/... ro to root=/dev/... rw. Actually just booting once like this seems to have fixed my problem permanently, i.e. now I can boot with ro again and I have no issue.
Another possible reason could be a problem during fsck (fix).

Ubuntu now also requires the kernel automounter support version 4. The config entry is CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=m. Then everything worked again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. Feel free to write anything you wish. Selected comments and questions will be published.